A boy kicks a football in the red, barren dust. A cloud of burned, breathless […]
Archive | Africa RSS feed for this section
African customs, photos and stories from a travel blog that explores the art and science of unusual journeys.
When it comes to colour in South Africa, perhaps there’s no better place to start […]
Dust in red still stains my shoes And drumbeats soothe my sleepless senses I am […]
First of all, I’m sorry. I heard some bad things about you. More than once […]
Why South Africa is called the Rainbow Nation I’m in South Africa right now and […]
Aswan For over two thousand years people have stood where I’m standing now. And yet […]
The problem, if you happened to be a slave owner, was that slaves just kept on dying. It was bad for business. Arguably, this also caused problems if you happened to be a slave, but…
Sometimes I dream that I am falling. Apparently, everyone does. But more often than that…
It’s an inauspicious start. No map. No SatNav. No cash – my very last dihram cleared out by the unexpected fuel charge.
No internet access to check the route. No signal on my iPhone. Just a pen, a scrap of paper and a hastily scribbled map, uneven streaks of biro connecting Moroccan towns that appeared on a picture in the hotel lobby.
The sand I’m standing on is soft and bleached, the type that squeaks beneath your soles if you walk too fast.
So much of Morocco reminds me of Andalucia. The heat, the orange-red earth, the metal lanterns, intricate tiles…
Both, too, wear a mixture of myth and mystery…
I found this beautiful image in the well-trodden yet overlooked town of Maun in Botswana, southern Africa. The town sits at the edge of the Okavango Delta and pilots, tourists and enterprising locals buzz around the small airstrip, restless to leave Maun behind and to let nautre brandish the blues and greens of the Delta beneath them.
I was looking for a photo to use as a test while I’m sprucing up Inside the Travel Lab – you know, washing behind its ears, dampening down tufts of hair and generally trying to get it to look its Sunday Best – when I found this.
The sight of
Raindrops decorated most of my days in the Seychelles, the days passing beneath skies streaked with charcoal, while
Picture this: a beach of white sand that curves to clasp the Indian Ocean. Palm trees fluttering at the edges of your vision. The crash and sigh of the waves in the distance. I open my eyes and…
Rain. When I first arrived on Desroches Island, the rain stalked and prowled and lurked around like the relentless soundtrack from a gothic horror film. Yet all the malevolence and theatre of the sky couldn’t…
In the world’s largest delta, transport takes place on water. While a few motorised boats cruise along the main waterway, to travel through the reeds, you still need a traditional mokoro…
Bringing you Elephants from the Air. Simply one of the most amazing moments in my life.
The Sahara Desert has a name that lives up to its reputation. Not simply because it sounds rippled and mysterious, but
Alright, I admit it. I did agree with the description of Namibia’s adventure playground, Swakopmund, as “unimaginably dreary.”
I still do. Yet as I was leaving town, I drove along this street of, well, street art that lifted my spirits…
- Maptastic-Tacular April 2, 2013
- Paris Is Always A Good Idea June 26, 2013
- 17 Ways To Take Better Photos From Trains – Photography for Beginners August 30, 2013
- Holy Smoke. A Mayan Massage in Mexico April 10, 2013
- The Beach with the Buffalo, Hong Kong May 17, 2013
- Fond memories of the fresh honeycomb for breakfast at @OneAldwych March 11, 2014
- Can you guess where I am?! (Psst, near @OneAldwych ) March 9, 2014
- Checking out the history of time at the Science Museum. In other words March 8, 2014
- A Glimpse of Mount Vesuvius March 5, 2014
- Sometimes simple is best March 3, 2014
- Steven Garrett: What a stunning photo. Did you take it?...
- Will Xie: Abi, Welcome to China again！...
- Anesa: Kreuzberg: soak in the Turkish market, an outside ...
- Adam: When I take a swing through Cardiff, I'll have to...
- Mark @ hotelove.sk: Stunning pics. Valencia is on my to-do list for a ...
- British Virgin Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- The Maldives
- Saudi Arabia
- The Seychelles
- South Africa
- St Vincent & The Grenadines