When it comes to colour in South Africa, perhaps there’s no better place to start […]
Tag Archives | Food
Travel writing that explores the tastes as well as the scenery. Read blog posts that travel around the world to bring you the recipes and customs that the globe has to offer…
Lemons. They’re all over the place in the narrow streets of olive and stone-soaked Amalfi. […]
Looking back now on my pieces on Barbados, you’d be forgiven for thinking it was […]
Sunlight shifts over gold, silver and sapphires in the ordered, sheltered aisles of the covered […]
Sickness has slowed my writing this month, I’m sorry to say. But rather than leave you hanging in silence, I thought I’d cheer you up with a quick taste of Tirol. Drum roll please as I introduce the iPhone only snapshots of my time in the snow. Who could imagine…
If travel teaches you anything, it is this: that one man’s hangover-inducing, paint-stripping, memory-erasing spirit shot is another man’s artisanal specialty. Take tequila…
I love the medieval city of Girona, although a city this size scarcely seems large […]
Fast forward to the close-set streets of Cartagena, in sticky, colourful Colombia and her words resurfaced after all these years…
In the space of five minutes, we’ve travelled through five countries: Mexico, Peru, Lebanon, Morocco and Korea.
Alright, there’s a chance I’ve gone overboard with the Ps in that headline. Yet ever since I wrote
Picture the scene. You’re walking through a Swedish market, your young daughter holding your hand. She sees row upon row of sweet candy canes, bright luminescent swirls of sugar and mint that gleam in scarlet and white, holly leaf green and ivy, forming…
As I come to the end of my time in Sydney, I’m thinking about my next stop: Warsaw in Poland. And I’m just wondering whether I’ll find Bison Vodka there, as I did in Krakow.
That’s vodka served with a blade of grass.
The older I get, the more I enjoy cooking classes. With an opening statement like that, I’m in danger of
From the moment I opened the parcel, I could tell it was going to be […]
I hope to bring Ljubljana to life for you here on Inside the Travel Lab, piece by piece, over the course of 2012 as part of my #IronRoute Project. Yet to spare you the overload experienced by my hard drive, oh long-suffering reader, I’ll start with this bite-sized list and fill in the gaps later.
Italian food. There was a time when I couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about, but I can barely remember that now. The moment my train slowed to a stop in Trieste (and, if I’m honest, quite a while before that) my daydreams wandered…
Fika. So said the letters, so said my host. It was not yet four in the afternoon and I began to brace myself.
The word fika, I decided, had all the hallmarks of a potent local spirit, the sort that could stand in for paint stripper on an identity parade and would give you a headache as soon as look at you…
People never believe me, but it’s not always sunny in Spain. Even in Seville, Europe’s hottest city, winters are COLD, COLD, COLD. Well, OK, probably only the one “cold” would have done…
“I’m not a cook. I’m a fixer man.”
It’s a striking opening line from anyone, but coming from Fabián Martín, it sounds particularly ominous…
Close your eyes and feel the sticky weight of the sunshine, its humidity heavy
- Maptastic-Tacular April 2, 2013
- Twelve Things Travel Taught Me in 2012 January 4, 2013
- What is Home, Anyway? March 8, 2013
- What’s so special about Berlin? January 20, 2013
- Paris Is Always A Good Idea June 26, 2013
- The Soweto Mandela Leaves Behind December 6, 2013
- Blue octopus hats are all the rage in December 4, 2013
- Introducing Brunei… December 4, 2013
- The White Mosque in December 2, 2013
- Learnt a new thing: the airline industry traditionally hoses down a plane on its first flight December 1, 2013
- Rebecca: Hi Azhar. I visited with Usizo tours (http://sowet...
- Rebecca: I visited Soweto a few years ago and we travelled ...
- Azhar Khan (Globe Glimpser): Great Post! I'm really keen to explore Soweto wit...
- Gayla: What a cute creature. I think it may be a devil, ...
- Abi: Still feeling hazy so they're a perfect fit!...
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- The Maldives
- Saudi Arabia
- The Seychelles
- South Africa
- St Vincent & The Grenadines