Whether you’re planning an incredible solo trip or looking to build your perfect family bucket list, the first place to start is with where you want to go. Find all the classics here plus some destinations that I hope will surprise you.
We also have a collection of the best beach and safari destinations and the best wildlife experiences to help you get started.
Popularly known for its wide open plains and safari wildlife, Africa offers all this and more. From the sand that swirls around the Egyptian pyramids in the north to Table Mountain that rises out of the ocean in the south, this is a mighty continent with much to share and so much more than you see in the headlines.
- Hiking in Ouirgane Valley takes walking to a new level
- The highs and lows of driving in Morocco
- How to plan the perfect Morocco itinerary
- How the red tsingy in Madagascar are the perfect antidote to travel overload
- The best beaches in Madagascar
- The real pride rock
- The perfect Kenya bucket list
- What you need to know about trekking Kilimanjaro
- An introduction to the culture and traditions of Mauritius
- Ecotourism in Mauritius: how the home of the Dodo is moving on
- What a sustainable food festival looks like in Mauritius
- Namibia and the oldest desert in the world
- What safari guides really fear in Botswana’s Okavango Delta
- Why colour still matters in Bo Kaap, Cape Town
- 21 unusual things to do in Cape Town
- Why South Africa is called the rainbow nation
- A poem from South Africa
- The Soweto that Mandela left behind
While the Caribbean islands may share the same pristine beaches and sparkling shores, the history, landscape, culture and food make each and every island distinct.
Start with this guide to the best Caribbean islands for solo travel (even if you’re not travelling solo.) Some of the easiest islands to get to include Nassau in the Bahamas and Barbados. But to get off the beaten track, try this beautiful spot in St Vincent and the Grenadines.
- Brilliant things to do in Tortola, British Virgin Islands
- Bring Barbados home with grandma’s Bajan Recipes
- The Shocking Story of Green Turtle Cay for Americans
- What are the best things to do in Nassau to avoid the crowds?
- Finding hidden gems and secret spots in Costa Rica
- What to pack for the Dominican Republic
- The best food in the Dominican Republic
- Why you should travel to the Dominican Republic with kids
Check out our separate collection of travel guides and stories from North America here.
Australia makes for a fascinating place to visit, no matter your age.
- Unusual things to do in Sydney that are right in the heart of the city
- Have you visited these hidden gems in Australia?
- What makes Kakadu so special.
- The secret behind the magnetic termite mounds in Australia
- The best things to do in Darwin in the Northern Territory
To explore Asia fully would take more than nine lifetimes.
- Japan highlights: the best things to do in Japan
- Powerful words from a Nagasaki survivor
- The igloo festival in Japan that will warm your heart
- What the Hachinoe Enburi will teach you in Japan
- The secret to the longest life expectancy in the world
- How to climb Mount Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo
- How to spend two days in Hiroshima
- How to spend two days in Kyoto: an itinerary
- How to get off the beaten path in Japan
- The Yao women who changed how Hollywood washes its hair
- Your China bucket list
- Unusual things to do in Hong Kong
Vietnam, Thailand & the Philippines
- Autumn in Hanoi: the best time to see this city
- How to spend three days in Hanoi
- The floating Vung Vieng fishing village in Vietnam
- Your Philippines bucket list
- What is the national dish of Thailand?
- The best things to do in Nan, Thailand’s overlooked province.
Singapore & Malaysia
- The best Singapore souvenirs to bring home
- The best things to do in Singapore at night
- How to spend two days in Singapore
- The complete Borneo food guide
- Kazakhstan food guide: the 15 dishes you should try
- The story behind the Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi and its UNESCO World Heritage Site status
- 17 Interesting facts about Kazakhstan
- Beshbarmak: the national dish of Kazakhstan
India & The Maldives
- Mysore food: the 12 dishes you need to know in southern India
- How Mysore Palace history surprises everyone who visits
- 21 of the best things to do in the Maldives
- The best dive resorts in the Maldives
The Middle East
Frequently misunderstood, the Middle East is one of the most intriguing and hospitable places that I’ve ever been to visit. Perhaps I’m biased, I lived in Saudi Arabia as a small child. But my subsequent travels have revealed layer upon layer of warmth and friendship, outstanding natural landscapes, fresh food and world altering history.
But where should you start? Right here with this article on the best places to see in the Middle East.
- Why Bedouin coffee is about more than the drink
- How to find the right Jordan itinerary for you
- 10 Interesting facts about the Dead Sea
- The best time to visit Jordan
- What to wear in Jordan
- 21 Essentials to pack for Jordan
- Is Jordan safe for solo female travellers?
- When is the best time to visit Jordan?
- Jordanian Food: the 21 dishes you need to know
- What is it like to visit Petra?
- Is Petra at night worth it?
- How the Madaba mosaics show the pathway to peace
- How to create your Jordan bucket list
United Arab Emirates
- Your Dubai packing list
- 15 hidden gems in the U.A.E
- The best hidden gems in Dubai
- 21 Interesting facts about Dubai
- Interesting facts about Sharjah, the creative hub of the U.A.E
- The mystery of the Al Wadi Nature Reserve
- What you need to know about culture and tradition in the U.A.E
This beautiful continent has some of the most impressive natural landscapes on earth. For example…
- The oldest market in Quito and what to buy in Ecuador
- Why the pre-Colombian art in Quito matters
- Why everyone should visit the cloud forests of Ecuador
- What do the words Galapagos mean?
Planning your trip
I’ve also gathered together my favourite companies into a handy travel resource list for you here.